Saturday, October 27, 2012

Shabana's wedding!!

A surprise call from Shabs made me look at the date and smile it is not Oct 8th. Invariably, I end up calling Shabana on 8th Oct of every year and she teases me her birthday is on 4th Oct.


Shabana and I go back 10 long years when we became friends at Indiainfo and fortunately been in touch. The call sometime in September 1st week was to let me know that she is getting married on September 15th. She said she will send me the details on email and asked me to text my “new” email id. I promptly missed and welcomed the wrath which followed.

My hectic schedule did not permit me to check and clarify where is Shabanan’s wedding till the evening of 15th September. On the call, I vaguely remember her telling me Richmond Circle. On September 15th, I promptly went and shopped for a gift and got decked up in a silk saree. Raised high hopes of yummy biryani at the wedding, along with hubby and daughter, we drove towards Richmond Circle.

On the way, my heart beat starting beating relatively faster when I did not have Shabana’s phone number stored. That’s when I realized all my previous contacts on the phone had got wiped out because of some reconfiguration on my blackberry. Slowly I whispered to my husband to go towards “Sacred heart auditorium” first. Given the traffic in Bangalore and one ways, we can’t go wherever we want but go where roads take us. As I neared Sacred Heart Auditorium, the empty hall failed to welcome us. By then, the lipstick had started drying and I did not have guts to apply another coat. :) I asked my husband to go towards St Patrick’s church and prayed to all the god’s and wished Shabana’s wedding was at St Patrick’s.

A sigh of relief walked passed me when I heard music and lights at St Patrick’s. We promptly parked the car and walked towards the entrance. My hope sunk deep down when at the entrance the welcome board read some other name. Now my hopes had hit rock bottom. Few friends we have in common were out of country and one friend in Hyderabad. As I did not have their numbers, turned to “Google God” on the smart phone which looked handy. My first search criterion was “Weddings in Bangalore on September 15th”. The Google God, did not throw any results from India. It’s then; I tried checking my email on the phone. Well, that day the luck god was not really favoring me. When I entered the login credentials, the phone said it will not allow me to login as it does not recognize the device. Phew…. I stood there in front of St Patrick’s church not knowing what to do.

When all my attempts to find a way failed, the way forward was to go back. We were all dejected, disappointed and disheartened. All of us decked up for the wedding headed straight to Papa Johns as there was no food at home. Nemo was very happy she was getting a surprise Pizza. While Vinod and I had a "silent" dinner, the only thought on my mind was “where is Shabana’s wedding?”

Even as I write this, I don’t know where was Shabana’s wedding. When I told my neighbor friends this incident they only laugh. Finally, I’ve connected Shabana on Facebook and hopefully will ping her there to get an answer to “where is Shabana’s wedding?”.

Shabs, if you thought I missed your wedding – it’s not true. This is what happened! :)

1 comment:

Raksha said...

Nice write up.. n a good lesson to store phone numbers :)