Friday, December 21, 2012

The sealed envelope

The year 2012 started with lot of hope and anticipation. The last 2 digits of the year "12", did look attractive. As always, the year threw open various challenges along with opportunities to learn and become a better individual. Now that am at the fag end of the year, when I look few things that really stand out include


a) Trip to Srilanka for TM District Conference.

b) Trip to Thailand - Cruising through islands

c) Trip to Ooty, Kodai, Goa and Coorg (oh yeah! different time frames)

Apart from that, some new people I met have been a blessing and are playing integral role in my life. Some bonds grew stronger and some I could not keep it going due to hectic schedule.

When I look back, I did manage to do what I like the most - a little bit of traveling. Unfortunately, have to stall my visits to LA - my Toastmaster club. Thanks to my office location and the traffic.

That said, something is missing for sure. The time that's gone by is just gone. Where have I made the investment is the big question I am asking myself.

Yesterday, in our year end dinner it was a fun exercise I was exposed to. The team in the last meeting of the previous year had to write

a) What do you want the same for the next year?
b) What do you want to be different the next year?

It was fun reading the then team's responses. The current set up was, most of the team was new and the people who had written weren't there. In some cases, they had predicted they would move on and in some it had happened as if it was a sweet co-incidence.

This year too, after the dinner we were all asked to write the same thing and all our responses were sealed. Our big boss will open the envelope next year after the year end dinner. Quite intriguing, interesting and fun exercise I thought.

I'm asking myself the same question again and again. I did write something and my response is sealed in that envelope which is safe in my big boss's cabin.

I still am pondering on the same questions:

What will be the same in the next year for me?
What will be different in the next year?

I guess it's time to give a thought to those 2 questions and live by those answers which I'm going to write and seal so that when I open the envelope, I smile that I lived true to myself. 

No comments: